Art Preparation Guidelines
Please consider the following when setting up art files for cartons and displays:
How will your artwork be printed?
Each process involves different design specifications. The most common processes are shown below. Silkscreen and digital printing are also available.
Lithographic Label Files:
Flexographic/Direct Print Files:
- Digital art may be supplied as Illustrator, InDesign, Quark and/or Photoshop files. PDFs are acceptable in some cases. No low-resolution jpegs, please.
- Photographic images should be high-resolution (300dpi) images at full size.
- Please outline text whenever possible, or provide all fonts needed.
- Critical text/artwork should be a minimum of 1/4″ away from the dieline edge and/or scores.
- Minimum bleed is 1/2″ out from the dieline. NOTE: If we supply a dieline with label trim included, please bleed the art 1/8″ out from the label trim area (green lines).
Dielines or Templates:
- Digital line art should preferably be vector-based (i.e., Adobe Illustrator) images. Photoshop line art should be 600dpi minimum.
- Photographic image resolution should be at least 150dpi at full size.
- Touching colors will be trapped (overlapped about 3/32″) to allow for press movement during printing.
- Text size minimum is 8 points, if possible.
- Line weight minimum is 1 point.
- Critical text/artwork should be a minimum of 1/2′ away from the dieline edge and/or scores.
- Minimum bleed is 3/8″ out from the dieline.
Dielines are necessary to assure the proper size and placement of art. Your Sales Representative can obtain one for you in your preferred format (i.e. PDF, eps, etc.).
FTP Your Files Now
Email Art Files:
If you're using FTP talk to your sales representative about obtaining a username and password before attempting to use the site. If using your FTP site, please provide your site address, login ID and password.
Files can be received and sent via CD to:
162 York Avenue Saint Paul, MN 55117
(If your file is 5mb or smaller)
You can also send files via yousendit.com to email@example.com
The art department is Macintosh-based. Available programs include the Adobe CS4 Suite (Illustrator, Photoshop and InDesign) and QuarkXPress 7.3.
Please supply the following:
- Complete, workable CMYK files; preferably in their native file format.
- A color printout of the file (when sending art by mail).
- All supporting files: Linked files and fonts.
- Appropriate Pantone or GCMI spot colors (if applicable) – indicate coated or uncoated for Pantone. If you need a specific custom color, please provide a sample for color matching.
- Name of company, project and contact person for any questions related to the project.
Any questions? Contact your sales representative at: